| Comments (0)
- OFA 2016 Annual Meeting Summary. The Ohio Forestry Association held its Annual Winter Meeting, with the theme, Ohio Hardwoods – Changes and Challenges, on March 8 and 9, 2016. The meeting was very well attended, with almost 190 registered attendees, and 33 registered exhibitors and sponsors. Thank you to all the Exhibitors and Sponsors that help make this Annual Meeting such a success. Highlights from the meeting were as follows:
- Board of Trustees Meeting
- Welcomed new Board members: Allen Troyer, Contractor Member, Berlin Lumber; Mike Kroll, Secondary Manufacturing Member, American Wood Fibers; Welcome!
- Thanked outgoing members: Bobby Thompson, Contractor Member, Valley Lumber; Jeff Sanford, Secondary Manufacturing Member, Ames-True Temper; Thank you for your time and dedication to OFA!
- The Board voted in its slate of Executive Committee officers for 2016-2017: President – Jeff Hoselton, Glatfelter; 1st Vice-President – Stan Sweirz, Stanley D. Sweirz Consulting Forester, Inc.; 2nd Vice-President – Randy Bates, Murphy Tractor & Equipment Co.; 3rd Vice-President – Adam Conway, Superior Hardwoods of Ohio, Inc.
- Welcomed Board appointments; Eric Doll, Primary Manufacturer Member, Doll Lumber, replacing Adam Conway who moved to the Executive committee; Jeff Jenkins, Pulp & Paper Member, Glatfelter who replaces Tim Morris from WestRock who transferred to Texas after the WestRock mill closure in Coshocton. Welcome!
- Tour of Rickenbacker Inland Port
- Bryan Shreiber and Carolyn Markling, of the Columbus Regional Airport Authority, with assistance from Steven Fuller of Norfolk & Southern, led a very interesting tour of the Rickenbacker Inland Port and the NS Intermodal Terminal. This was combined with an informative PowerPoint presentation.
- The Intermodal Terminal had a very hi-tech system using multiple high resolution cameras to make the process of moving 700-800 trucks per day through the terminal highly efficient.
- Learned that several of our Members are moving logs and lumber through this port.
- Ohio Tree Farm Committee Gun Raffle Benefitting Tree Farm and Forestry & Wildlife Conservation Camp
- Someone needs to stick close to Allen Troyer next year as he won the big prizes for the second year in a row! Maybe his luck will rub off onto someone.
- Speakers for the Annual Meeting morning sessions
- Senator Troy Balderson from Zanesville, Ohio, was the Keynote Speaker, and discussed his changes and challenges that led him to where he is today as it relates to the changes and challenges affecting the forest products industry today. OFA presented the Senator with a Friends of Ohio’s Forest Products Industry award for his special efforts and attention to the forest products industry in Ohio.
- Bob Boyles, Deputy Director of ODNR, overseeing the Divisions of Forestry, Wildlife, and Mineral Resource Management, gave his annual "State of the Division of Forestry” address.
- Next was Matthew Baumgardner, Research Scientist with the US Forest Service, who gave a presentation on Hardwood Trade and Consumption Trends in the US and Ohio.
- Bob and Mathhew’s presentations can be found on the OFA Website under the tabs: Events/OFA Annual Meeting/Speaker Presentations.
- Industry Awards and Tree Farm Luncheon
- Once again, the Embassy Suites provided a very good buffet style lunch for all in attendance.
- John Schmidt gave another eloquent invocation, including asking everyone for a moment of silent prayer for the families of John Dorka and his wife Pat, who both lost family members earlier in the week. Our thoughts and prayers were with them through the entire week.
- Industry Awards were given to the following:
- John Shulte of Shulte’s Logging - Ohio’s 2016 Logger of the Year
- Larry Evans – Outstanding Individual in Industry
- John Mueller – Outstanding Individual in Government Service
- Dave Schatz – Ohio Forestry Hall of Fame
- Tree Farm Awards were given to the following:
- John Dorka for Special Recognition of his many years of support to Ohio’s Tree Farm program as both Chief of ODNR Division of Forestry and as Executive Director of the Ohio Forestry Association.
- Cameron Bushong – 2016 Ohio Tree Farm Inspector of the Year
- Jeremy Scherf was recognized for becoming Ohio’s first National Tree Farm Inspector of the Year. He officially received the award earlier this year at the National Tree Farm Convention.
- OFA and ODNR Division of Forestry were recognized by the Tree Farm Committee as being Valued Stewardship Partners during their 75th year celebration.
- Dave Schatz received a special Lifetime Award from the Tree Farm Committee for his nearly 50 year service to the Tree Farm Committee and the Ohio Woodlands Journal.
- Christopher Duckworth – 2015 Ohio Tree Farmer of the Year. Chris gave a nice presentation on his family Tree Farm and the history behind his family ending up with the farm as it is today.
- Panel Discussion: After WestRock-What Comes Next
- Presenters were as follows;
- Brad Perkins – former WestRock resource professional discussed wood fiber availability after the closure of the WestRock-Coshocton mill this past fall.
- Tom Nelson – president of Renewable Carbon and Electric ,Ltd., gave a presentation on his project for Wood Pyrolysis and its future in Ohio Forestry.
- Alberto Ramirez – Production Manager of Speyside Bourbon Cooperage Inc., gave a presentation on a new look at Ohio cooperage production.
- Randy Monhemius – Business Program Specialist for USDA Rural Development discussed the opportunity for business and industry loan guarantees for rural development, especially along the lines of renewable energy and energy efficiency programs.
- Other projects discussed:
- Helmut Schmidt, President of United Biosultions, was unable to present due to illness, but is working on projects in Ohio with briquette production as an alternative to wood pellets.
- Praveen Paripati, president of SuGanit Systems, Inc., was also unable to present, but is working on a project to consume raw wood products to produce ethanol. He is currently in discussions with WestRock management about potential opportunities at the Coshocton location.
- Scott Elliot, of Marietta Industrial Enterprises, is looking to work with wood suppliers in Ohio who are needing an outlet for sawdust, chips, slabs, grindings, ground pallets, etc. If you would like to talk with Scott, he can be reached at: 740-373-2252.
- Presentations for Tom Nelson and Roberto Ramirez can be found on the OFA Website under the tabs: Events/OFA Annual Meeting/Speaker Presentations
- The Tree Farm Silent Auction was another success – raising in excess of $1600. Thank you to everyone for their donations and purchases for this annual tradition.
The Logging Standards Council held its meeting on Tuesday, March 8, 2016. Highlights from the meeting included;
- Discussions on the following topics:
- Wayne National Forest informational meetings
- Logger of the Year nominations
- Reciprocity Agreements with Pennsylvania
- OFA Staff Changes
- First Aid/CPR training options
- Chapter and DOF updates
- Logger Chapter Members receiving training recently
- OFA Master Loggings in their 90 day grace period prior to decertification
- Decertification discussions:
- 2 Master Logger Members given 30 days to complete necessary training to remain certified due to extenuating circumstances
- 3 Master Loggers decertified.
- Minutes of the meeting, with details of discussions and decertification issues, will be available shortly to all chapters and the Logging Standards Council.
- Meeting attendance – 11 Council Members , OFA Executive Director-Brad Perkins, Katie Rudd – former Master Logging Program Coordinator
- The Ohio DNR Division of Forestry is collecting information from primary wood-using industries to create a summary report of the variety and volume of wood products produced in Ohio. The report will include summary information on products, species, outputs per region, and utilization of mill residues. The data collected will be shared with the US Forest Service who is our their partner in creating this report. Data regarding your individual business will not be analyzed or made known on an individual basis. You should be getting this survey in the mail soon. Please complete the survey form and return it to Jason Van Houten by April 8, 2016. Use the following address or email: Jason Van Houten, 2045 Morse Rd., Building H-1, Columbus, OH 43229-6693 Jason.VanHouten@dnr.state.oh.us This report will aid forest managers, forest industry, policymakers, and others, who evaluate trends in forest product removals, to make informed decisions about available forest resources and product output. This kind of information can be very helpful in educating the public about forest management and timber harvesting. Also those seeking specific products or product information will be able to use the report to narrow their search. OFA is recommending that our members fill out this survey. A copy of the survey and letter from ODNR Division of Forestry can be found here if you want to get a jump on things.
- Upcoming Events:
- Shiitake mushroom log inoculation workshop at Blue Rock State Forest Saturday, March 19th. The Ohio DNR, partnered with the Muskingum Soil & Water Conservation District and MRWIG will be hosting a Shiitake mushroom log inoculation workshop at Blue Rock State Forest Saturday, March 19th. The event will begin at noon at 6665 Cutler Lake Road, Blue Rock, Ohio 43720 and will run until about 3 PM. Pre-registration is required; you can register by calling the Muskingum SWCD at (740) 454-2767 or by visiting their office at 225 Underwood Street, Zanesville, OH. Registration fee is $5 per party. Limit is 20 participants, so register soon if interested!!! The focus of this workshop is to teach participants the basics of Shiitake log inoculation, followed by a hands-on exercise in inoculating logs. Participants are encouraged to bring their own rubber mallet, safety glasses, and work gloves. Best of all, each participant will leave the event with their very own Shiitake log!
- Maple Syrup Festival, March 26, 2016, Williams County Fairgrounds. Here is a flyer for the Maple Syrup Festival which will be at the Williams County Fairgrounds on March 26. The morning festival will include a number of forestry and forest management presentations which will be of interest to landowners. Note there is an entrance fee of $5 for adults.
- Wood Products Council to Host Wood Design Seminars in Columbus/Cleveland, April 12/13, 2016. The WoodWorks Program of the Wood Products Council will be hosting two Wood Design Seminars in Ohio that may be of interest to OFA members. According to the flyer, "This presentation will provide an introductory review of allowable uses and best design practices associated with wood-frame construction. Wood science including wood’s cell structure and moisture interaction properties will be discussed.” The seminar clearly has a softwood construction focus and is aimed at those involved with non-residential construction. The seminar in Columbus is April 12 at Smith and Wollensky and in Cleveland on April 13 at Morton’s Steakhouse. Each seminar has a $20 fee which includes lunch. You can register on-line.
- Project Learning Tree (PLT) Facilitator Workshop, April 20-21, 2016, Shawnee Lodge and Conference Center. PLT-Ohio is hooking up with Project WET to co-host a facilitator workshop on April 20-21, 2016 at the Shawnee State Park Lodge and Conference Center (See flyer here). PLT is a great environmental education program for youth and OFA supports its activities. Those wishing to become a PLT facilitator can attend this conference to do so. There is a $104 registration fee that covers all meals, lodging (one night) and program costs. Those wishing to participate are asked to register on-line by April 13, 2016.
- The Ohio Chapter Walnut Council Spring – 2016 Field Day, Saturday, April 23, 2016. Here is a PDF with the schedule, directions, and registration information for the field day at the Walt Davis Farm near Lebanon, Ohio. The field trip will include tours of his tree plantings and saw mill operations. A box lunch and drink will cost $10.00.
- Forest and Wood Products Export Conference, April 27, 2016, OSU South Centers, Piketon, Ohio. Here is a flyer from OSU South Centers concerning the seminar there on April 27 on Forest and Wood Products Exports. The conference features Mike Snow, from the American Hardwood Export Council (AHEC) and Dana Spessert from NHLA. There is a $25 registration fee and the flyer has registration information.
This post has not been tagged.