Posted By Gayla Fleming,
Monday, March 21, 2016
| Comments (0)
|SAWMILL OWNERS/OPERATORS - YOUR HELP IS NEEDED NOW!|
NHLA and Virginia Tech are conducting a survey about the state of the U.S.hardwood lumber industry. The purpose of this study is to investigate trends in the hardwood lumber sawmill industry and the markets theyserve. Your response is confidential and no company information will be disclosed. The survey is available HERE. Thank you for your help!
New SOLAS (Safety Of Lives At Sea) regulations on shipping containers goes into effect July, 1 2016
Anyone using shipping containers to export logs, lumber, etc., will need to provide a weigh bill with each load effective July 1, 2016. See the SOLAS Chapter VI regulation amendments and Joint Industry Guidance documentexplaining how to meet these new regulations. More to come later as OFA is researching this issue to see how it will affect our members using these shipping containers.
|Do you need Safety Training for your Business, Employees, or Loggers Chapter?|
Sammons Safety Services, an exhibitor at this past OFA Annual Meeting, offers a wide variety of on-site safety services including; OSHA Training, Tool Box Safety programs, Certified First Aid/CPR/AED training, Jobsite Inspections, etc. Check out their website for services and contact information HERE.
The Bureau of Workers' Compensation Board of Directors approved a rate cut for private employers
This cut is expected to decrease annual premiums by $113 million next year.The 8.6% reduction in overall average rates is the latest in a series of cuts to premiums since 2011, according to the bureau.Rates are now a combined 28.2% lower than five years ago. The new rate reductions are effective July 1, 2016. See THIS ARTICLE for details.
|A Day In The Woods – 2nd Friday Series is a summer time series of programs at Vinton Furnace State Forest. It has an interesting array of programs relating to all things in the woods. See THIS BROCHURE, or visit the website at: https://u.osu.edu/seohiowoods|
- BMP-Chainsaw Level 1 Training – LAST CHANCE to SIGN UP. There is a BMP and Chainsaw Level 1 training taking place this Thursday and Friday, March 24 and 25, at Tappan Lake. Call Pam at the OFA office to register. 614-497-9580
- Maple Syrup Festival, March 26, 2016, Williams County Fairgrounds. HERE is a flyer for the Maple Syrup Festival which will be at the Williams County Fairgrounds on March 26. The morning festival will include a number of forestry and forest management presentations which will be of interest to landowners. Note there is an entrance fee of $5 for adults.
- Wood Products Council to Host Wood Design Seminars in Columbus/Cleveland, April 12/13, 2016. The WoodWorks Program of the Wood Products Council will be hosting two Wood Design Seminars in Ohio that may be of interest to OFA members. "This presentation will provide an introductory review of allowable uses and best design practices associated with wood-frame construction. Wood science including wood’s cell structure and moisture interaction properties will be discussed.” The seminar clearly has a softwood construction focus and is aimed at those involved with non-residential construction. The seminar in Columbus is April 12 at Smith and Wollensky and in Cleveland on April 13 at Morton’s Steakhouse. Each seminar has a $20 fee which includes lunch. You can register on-line.
- Project Learning Tree (PLT) Facilitator Workshop, April 20-21, 2016, Shawnee Lodge and Conference Center. PLT-Ohio is hooking up with Project WET to co-host a facilitator workshop on April 20-21, 2016 at the Shawnee State Park Lodge and Conference Center. See flyer. PLT is a great environmental education program for youth and OFA supports its activities. Those wishing to become a PLT facilitator can attend this conference to do so. There is a $104 registration fee that covers all meals, lodging (one night) and program costs. Those wishing to participate are asked to register on-line by April 13, 2016.
- The Ohio Chapter Walnut Council Spring – 2016 Field Day, Saturday, April 23, 2016. Hereis a PDF with the schedule, directions, and registration information for the field day at the Walt Davis Farm near Lebanon, Ohio. The field trip will include tours of his tree plantings and saw mill operations. A box lunch and drink will cost $10.00.
- Forest and Wood Products Export Conference, April 27, 2016, OSU South Centers, Piketon, Ohio. Here is a flyer from OSU South Centers concerning the seminar there on April 27 on Forest and Wood Products Exports. The conference features Mike Snow, from the American Hardwood Export Council (AHEC) and Dana Spessert from NHLA. There is a $25 registration fee and the flyer has registration information.
This post has not been tagged.