Posted By Gayla Fleming,
Monday, April 04, 2016
| Comments (0)
The Federal Government pledges additional $41 million dollars for programs to fight toxic algae in Lake Erie Read the article at the following link to see what projects may be covered in this plan, including a unique process using wood mulch as a "bioreactor” to absorb phosphorous and nitrogen before it gets into streams. http://www.toledoblade.com/State/2016/03/28/Feds-pledge-41-million-more-to-fight-Lake-Erie-algae.html
National Arbor Day is Friday, April 29, 2016
No doubt, there will be Arbor Day activities all over the state the weekend of April 29, 30, and May 1. Since trees are the backbone of our Industry and Association, we should all try to participate in one of these activities. One such activity is an Arbor Day Festival being held at the Dawes Arboretum, just south of Newark, Ohio, on SR 13. It is a family oriented day of hands on activities, with the first 300 families attending being given the opportunity to take home their own tree to plant in honor of Arbor Day. For more details, check out the following link to the festival. http://dawesarb.org/arbor-day-festival/
PUCO rules on AEP/First Energy PPA’s
The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio ruled on Thursday, March 31, 2016, that AEP and FirstEnergy are cleared to move ahead with their controversial Power Purchase Agreements. The PUCO claims however, that they modified the eight year agreements to contain safeguards that will better protect consumers from the financial impact of the riders. As the utility companies welcomed the rulings, opponents have signaled that they are in the process of regrouping for the appeals process. Read more on this controversial issue at the following link. http://www.gongwer-oh.com/programming/news.cfm?article_ID=850620201#sthash.eH6w0Kb9.dpbs
|OFA supports increased funding for USDA Forest Service Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Program|
The Ohio Forestry Association joined more than 50 other state and national organizations in sending a letter to the leadership of the House Appropriations Committee, Subcommittee on Interior, Environment and Related Agencies, in support of increased funding for the USDA Forest Service Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Program in the 2017 Budget. The FIA Program is the nation’s oldest forest census—providing invaluable information about forests and informing forest policies for over 75 years. FIA collects data on everything from species composition and forest health to forest growth rates and forest products utilization.
Welcome New OFA Members! The Ohio Forestry Association would like to welcome the following new association members that came on board in February or March of this year. New Members, please don’t hesitate to contact myself or anyone else at OFA to let us know if we are meeting your needs and expectations.
- Jeff Stevenson
- Jon Miller
- Matt Bennett
- Talula Koch
- Doug Emery
- Jeff Roberts
- Rick Hite – The Money Tree Logging, LLC
- Mike Stevens – Rocket Contracting, LLC
- Matt Sokolowski – Industrial Timber and Pulp
- Nelson Burkholder – Kaufman Mulch, Inc
- John Knipp
- Mike Hamm – Company Wrench
- Justin Brewster - LITS
- Consulting Foresters:
- Josh Burling – Steigerwaldt Tree Services
- Primary Manufacturers:
- Joe Pecchia – Millwood, Inc
- Secondary Manufacturers:
- Todd Phipps – NWP Pellets Peebles
Brad’s Safety Comments
It’s finally spring! Time for all of us to spend every minute of spare time working in the yard…..or at least that’s what it will seem like for a month or so till we get caught up on the yard cleaning, landscaping, lawn mowing, etc. Take a few minutes to read the brief newsletter on things you can do to keep yourself and your family safe this spring while tackling your yard chores.
- Loggers Chapter Meetings
- Paint Valley Loggers Chapter – Monday, April 11 – 7:00 PM
- South East Ohio Loggers Chapter – Wednesday, April 13 – 7:00 PM
- Muskingum Valley Loggers Chapter – Wednesday, April 20 – 7:00 PM
- Steel Valley Loggers Chapter – Thursday, April 21 – 5:30 PM
- East Central Ohio Loggers Chapter – Monday, April 25 – 7:00 PM
- Wood Bioenergy Conference & Expo The 4th Wood Bioenergy Conference & Expo is scheduled for April 5-6 in Atlanta, Georgia. The conference is sponsored by Wood Bioenergy and Panel World magazines and Georgia Research Institute. The Conference will feature marketing forecasts and technical presentations on industrial wood pellets. For more info on the conference, visit: http://bioenergyshow.com/
- Wood Products Council to Host Wood Design Seminars in Columbus/Cleveland, April 12/13, 2016. The WoodWorks Program of the Wood Products Council will be hosting two Wood Design Seminars in Ohio that may be of interest to OFA members. According to the flyer, "This presentation will provide an introductory review of allowable uses and best design practices associated with wood-frame construction. Wood science including wood’s cell structure and moisture interaction properties will be discussed.” The seminar clearly has a softwood construction focus and is aimed at those involved with non-residential construction. The seminar in Columbus is April 12 at Smith and Wollensky and in Cleveland on April 13 at Morton’s Steakhouse. Each seminar has a $20 fee which includes lunch. You can register on-line.
- Project Learning Tree (PLT) Facilitator Workshop, April 20-21, 2016, Shawnee Lodge and Conference Center. PLT-Ohio is hooking up with Project WET to co-host a facilitator workshop on April 20-21, 2016 at the Shawnee State Park Lodge and Conference Center. PLT is a great environmental education program for youth and OFA supports its activities. Those wishing to become a PLT facilitator can attend this conference to do so. There is a $104 registration fee that covers all meals, lodging (one night) and program costs. Those wishing to participate are asked to register on-line by April 13, 2016. See flyer here.
- The Ohio Chapter Walnut Council Spring – 2016 Field Day, Saturday, April 23, 2016. Hereis a PDF with the schedule, directions, and registration information for the field day at the Walt Davis Farm near Lebanon, Ohio. The field trip will include tours of his tree plantings and saw mill operations. A box lunch and drink will cost $10.00.
- Forest and Wood Products Export Conference, April 27, 2016, OSU South Centers, Piketon, Ohio. Here is a flyer from OSU South Centers concerning the seminar there on April 27 on Forest and Wood Products Exports. The conference features Mike Snow, from the American Hardwood Export Council (AHEC) and Dana Spessert from NHLA. There is a $25 registration fee and the flyer has registration information.
This post has not been tagged.