| Comments (0)
|To view previous Timber Talk Newsletters advance the pages at the bottom of this page. |
EPA Decides NOT to Regulate Forest Road Stormwater Discharges
The US EPA sent out a notice on June 27, 2016, that it will not regulate Forest Road Discharges under Section 402(p)(6) of the Clean Water Act at this time, citing the successes of programs that are already in place around the country to address this issue. This would include programs such as Ohio’s Voluntary BMP Program for Erosion Control for Logging Practices. The beginning of the Executive Summary of this notice reads, "EPA has determined not to designate stormwater discharges from forest roads for regulation under Section 402(p)(6) of the Clean Water Act (CWA) at this time. EPA’s decision is based on several interrelated factors. First, state, federal, regional, tribal government, and private sector programs already exist nationwide to address water quality problems caused by discharges from forest roads. Many of these programs have been improved and updated in recent years. Program implementation rates are generally high and have been shown to be effective in protecting water quality when properly implemented. These programs employ a variety of approaches, based in part on variations in regional topography and climate. While EPA recognizes that existing programs vary in their degree of rigor, the Agency has concluded that efforts to help strengthen existing programs would be more effective in further addressing forest road discharges than superimposing an additional federal regulatory layer over them.” For more information, read the entire notice. The official version of this notice is expected to be published in the Federal Register in early July, 2016.
The Emergency Wildfire and Forest Management Act of 2016, S 3085, Introduced in Congress
On June 22nd, Sen. Pat Roberts introduced S 3085, the Emergency Wildfire and Forest Management Act Similar legislation has already passed the House of Representatives. The major focal points of this bill are:
To provide alternative funding for fighting catastrophic wildfires on Federal Lands
- To provide for expedited environmental analysis and availability of categorical exclusions to expedite forest management activities
- To provide for salvage and reforestation in response to catastrophic events
- To provide additional funding sources for forest management activities
- To provide for tribal forestry participation and protection
This bill is generally aimed to help with the funding and forest and environmental impact issues being realized because of the increase over the past few years of large, catastrophic fires in the western U.S. It would give the Secretaries of Agriculture and the Interior more tools to work with in addressing these issues more expeditiously.
|Farm & Dairy Forestry Camp Article on Timber Harvest|
As was reported two weeks ago in the TimberTalk, there was a unique opportunity at Forestry and Wildlife Conservation Camp this year, for the students to see an active timber harvest taking place on the camp property. Here is a copy of an article about this opportunity, as told by a reporter for the Farm and Dairy Newsletter, as she interviewed Randy Clum, of OFA member company, Clum Forestry Consultants. Randy was overseeing this timber sale and harvest, and worked closely with the Camp Muskingum staff, Denoon Lumber, Forestry and Wildlife Conservation Camp coordinators, and the campers to make this opportunity a smooth one. Thanks to Jeremy Scherf for scanning and sharing this article from the Farm and Dairy Newsletter.
Welcome New OFA Members!
The Ohio Forestry Association would like to welcome the following new association members that came on board in May of this year. New Members, please don’t hesitate to contact myself or anyone else at OFA to let us know if we are meeting your needs and expectations.
Robert Garland from Poland, Ohio
Tom Skaggs with Outdoor Underwriters from Columbia, SC
Libby Blevins of Trejcam Veneer from Zanesville, Ohio
Autumn Hart of HAIX North America from Lexington, KY
Matthew Kapalin of TimberWood Forestry from Amherst, Ohio
David Perkins of Roger Perkins Logging from Chillicothe, Ohio
|Brad’s Safety Comments|
It’s Summer Time! Time for picnics, family gatherings….. and food borne illnesses! When we are all sitting around the patio cussing and discussing after a good cookout or picnic, we often lose track of the time that food has been sitting out, inviting bacteria to come in and set up shop. Check outthis article on Summer Food Safety Facts for ways to keep your food safe for consumption in the heat of the summer season. One simple old saying is "Keep hot foods hot, and cold foods cold.”
Dates for Upcoming Lumber Grading Courses
- August 22-25, 2016 at Yoder Lumber Company, 7100 CR 407, Millersburg, Ohio 44654. For more information and to register, visit: https://ohioforest.site-ym.com/event/AugustLumberGradingSC
- September 19-22, 2016 at the OSU South Centers, 1864 Shyville Road, Piketon, Ohio 45661. For more information and to register, visit: https://ohioforest.site-ym.com/event/2016LumberWalnutGradingShortCourse
- September 23, 2016 – Walnut Grading Only - at the OSU South Centers, 1864 Shyville Road, Piketon, Ohio 45661. For more information and to register, visit: https://ohioforest.site-ym.com/event/2016LumberWalnutGradingShortCourse
OFA Summer Meeting July, 20-21, 2016
Hold these dates for the annual OFA Summer Meeting. This meeting is always a fun way to network with other industry members as we participate in some Golf and Clay Shooting. This year’s meeting activities include:
Make your hotel reservations with the Quality Inn at 740-775-3500 by July 5th to take advantage of the special OFA rate of just $89 per night.
- OFA and LSC Board Meetings
- Industry Tour to Sherwood Forest Products and Speyside Cooperage
- OWIN Reception at the Quality Inn - Chillicothe
- Golf Outing at Dogwood Hills Golf Course
- Shooting Event at Pike County Coon Hunters Assoc.
- Reception and Awards Banquet at Stillwater Event & Conference Centre
For registration and additional information visit the Summer Meeting Page.
Other Upcoming Events:
- PVLC Meeting - 7:00 PM, July 11, 2016, Bainbridge, Ohio
- SOLC Meeting - 7:00 PM, July 12, 2016, USDA Service Center, Lucasville, Ohio
- ECOLC Meeting – 7:00 PM, July 18, 2016, Millersburg Public Library, Millersburg, Ohio
- LSC Meeting – 10:00 AM, July 20, 2016, Christopher Conference Center, Chillicothe, Ohio
- OFA, Inc. Board Meeting - 10:00 AM, July 20, 2016, Christopher Conference Center, Chillicothe, Ohio
- SVLC Meeting - 5:30 PM, July 21, 2016, Bergholz, Ohio
This post has not been tagged.