Posted By Gayla Fleming,
Tuesday, July 12, 2016
| Comments (0)
|To read previous issues of Timber Talk advance pages with arrows at bottom of this page. |
|NAFO Reports Reaffirm Sustainability of U.S. Forests – Forest2Market was contracted by the National Alliance of Forest Owners (NAFO) to research and compile information for reports on two fronts. The first being – U.S. Forest Inventory and Harvest Trends on Privately-Owned Timberlands, and the second being – The Economic Impact of Privately-Owned Forests in the United States. NAFO released the two reports on these subjects on June 29, 2016. These reports are very well done and have a lot of interesting data to look at, some on a state level, others on regional or national levels. The bottom line is that private forest owners continue to grow 40% more wood than they harvest, and these forests support 2.4 million jobs while producing $281 billion in sales. These reports can be read in their entireties at the following links:|
|TEAM Safe Trucking Announces First Comprehensive Log Truck Fleet Management Initiative – In a February, 2016 edition of the TimberTalk, we announced the formation of a group called TEAM Safe Trucking (TST) that was formed to address safety concerns in the log and chip transportation sectors. Here is a letter from TEAM Safe Trucking, LLC president, Rick Quagliaroli, announcing their first comprehensive log truck fleet management initiative. |
|Patriotism and the Star Spangled Banner – The birthdate of our nation, the Fourth of July, passed by this week in the form of a much appreciated holiday. Many people are getting excited to show their patriotism later this year by participating in a presidential election, something many countries don’t offer their citizens. Many people showed their patriotism during all the Fourth of July celebrations by flying the flag of our great country. For many of us, saluting the flag, and singing the Star Spangled Banner at the beginning of important social events, is a common way that we show our love for what our country represents in the world. Most of us know the 1st verse of the Star Spangled Banner by heart. But how many of us remember that there are actually 4 verses to the song penned by Francis Scott Key? Even if we remembered that there was more than one verse, could any of us recite the words from the other verses? I was reminded of this recently while reading a forest products magazine from another region of the country. For a trip down grade school memory lane, open and read the complete version of "The Star-Spangled Banner" showing spelling and punctuation from Francis Scott Key's manuscript located in the Maryland Historical Society collection.|
|Lumber Grading Courses - registration open now!|
- August 22-25, 2016 at Yoder Lumber Company, 7100 CR 407, Millersburg, Ohio 44654. For more information and to register, visit: https://ohioforest.site-ym.com/event/AugustLumberGradingSC
- September 19-22, 2016 at the OSU South Centers, 1864 Shyville Road, Piketon, Ohio 45661. For more information and to register, visit: https://ohioforest.site-ym.com/event/2016LumberWalnutGradingShortCourse
- September 23, 2016 – Walnut Grading Only - at the OSU South Centers, 1864 Shyville Road, Piketon, Ohio 45661. For more information and to register, visit: https://ohioforest.site-ym.com/event/2016LumberWalnutGradingShortCourse
|OFA Summer Meeting July, 20-21, 2016 - The annual OFA Summer Meeting is next week! Register now!!|
There is still time to sign up to join other members of the wood industry for a couple days of fun, educational tours, and great networking.
This year’s meeting activities include:
Make your hotel reservations with the Quality Inn at 740-775-3500.
- OFA and LSC Board Meetings
- Industry Tour to Sherwood Forest Products and Speyside Cooperage
- OWIN Reception at the Quality Inn - Chillicothe
- Golf Outing at Dogwood Hills Golf Course
- Shooting Event at Pike County Coon Hunters Assoc.
- Reception and Awards Banquet at Stillwater Event & Conference Centre
** We are still looking for additional Golf Tee and Clay Shoot Station Sponsors**
Contact Gayla for opportunities. 614-497-9580.
For registration and additional information visit the Summer Meeting Page.
|Other Upcoming Events:|
- PVLC Meeting - 7:00 PM, July 11, 2016, Bainbridge, Ohio
- SOLC Meeting - 7:00 PM, July 12, 2016, USDA Service Center, Lucasville, Ohio
- ECOLC Meeting – 7:00 PM, July 18, 2016, Millersburg Public Library, Millersburg, Ohio
- LSC Meeting – 10:00 AM, July 20, 2016, Christopher Conference Center, Chillicothe, Ohio
- OFA, Inc. Board Meeting - 10:00 AM, July 20, 2016, Christopher Conference Center, Chillicothe, Ohio
- SVLC Meeting – 5:30 PM, July 21, 2016, Bergholz, Ohio
This post has not been tagged.