|To view previous issues advance pages with buttons at the bottom of this page.
Important Notice: OFA's local 614 area code phone and fax numbers are changing! The new phone number will be 1-888-38-TREES (888-388-7337). The new fax number will be 740-452-2552. Please update your records accordingly and change any speed dials you might have set up for us. The 614 numbers will be disconnected effective May 1!
Save These Dates For OFA Summer Meeting!
Tuesday and Wednesday, July 18-19, 2017 – Back by popular demand, OFA will be visiting the Marietta area for its 2017 Summer Meeting, Clay Shoot, and Golf Outing. The ever popular Valley Gem Riverboat Cruise Reception will again be on the agenda, this year on Tuesday afternoon, July 18. The Sporting Clay Shoot at Hilltop Sports outside Whipple, and the Golf Outing at Lakeside Golf Course in Beverly will be on Wednesday, July 19, followed by dinner at the golf course. Postcards with details for times and overnight accommodations, as well as registration and sponsorship opportunities, will be coming in the mail soon. On-line registration will also open in the next couple weeks. IMPORTANT NOTICE!! – The 2017 Event is on TUESDAY and WEDNESDAY this year, NOT the usual Wednesday and Thursday.
OFA Now Offers Health Benefit Plan to Members
The Ohio Forestry Association has partnered with Andrako Insurance Consultants to offer our members the opportunity to obtain health care benefits through the Ohio Farm Bureau Health Benefits Plan. The OFB Health benefits plan is available to sole proprietors and employers in the agricultural sector, of 1-99 employees, with headquarters in Ohio. The Ohio Forestry Association has endorsed Andrako Insurance Consultants to provide their members access to this new self-funded medical plan. The OFB Health Benefits plan is a self-funded medical plan that offers the following:
- Competitive rates through a self-funding arrangement
- Fixed, predictable monthly payments
- A variety of 8 different plan designs: 4 with coinsurance and co-pays; 4 with higher deductibles
- Medical Mutual of Ohio’s broad provider network and Prescription Formulary
- Protection from liability, should your business choose to leave the plan
- A wide array of ancillary products for dental, life, vision and short term disability
Click here for more information on this exciting new member benefit, and to inquire about eligibility.
Forest Markets Weekly Newsletter
The National Association of State Foresters' Forest Markets Committee releases a Weekly Newsletter full of all things Forestry and Forest Products Industry related. Each week’s newsletter has articles about: Forest Markets, Housing, Working Forests, New Products and Technology, and Renewable Energy. This week’s newsletter includes a great historical article on “The Cradle of Forestry in America”. See the complete newsletter here.
Will Hardwood Demand Continue to Strengthen?
According to the most recent Hardwood Leader publication, they expect that demand for hardwood lumber will continue to strengthen because of housing activity and exports. Strong home buyer traffic has pushed builder confidence to levels not seen in a decade, and consumer confidence in March reached its highest level in more than 16 years. Construction industry employment continued climbing in February, adding 18,900 jobs. The 12 month employment increase now stands at 136,000 jobs. Log exports were up 2.5% in February, and lumber exports were 7% ahead of last year’s record setting pace. Year-to-date lumber exports are higher than last year’s for every species except Alder and Beech. They are predicting that lumber prices will be generally firm to higher over the next two months, with the exceptions of White Oak and upper-grade Soft Maple.
Monthly Housing Starts Data & Commentary
Following are two links to the Virginia Tech - U.S. Forest Service housing market commentaries for February 2017. These files contain in-depth data and comments on the U.S. housing market. Part 1: Main Report; Part 2: Economic Conditions Report. The housing report is a free service of Virginia Tech, Virginia Cooperative Extension, and the U.S. Forest Service. The reports are intended to help gauge future business activity.
Dovetail Partners April “Outlook” Newsletter
The April issue of Dovetail Partners “Outlook” newsletter contains information on a hands-on learning program about sustainable forestry called “Teachers Tours”, as well as information on the Innovations in Wood Design event being held on April 25th and April 27th. This edition can be viewed here. "The Outlook" is the monthly e-newsletter of Dovetail Partners, Inc, a 501c3 non-profit corporation.
Termite Gut Holds Secret To Breaking Down Lignin In Biomass
Scientists at the University of Wisconsin-Madison have found that the eating habits of a specific fungus-cultivating termite leave biomass almost completely devoid of lignin after passing through the termites gut. This research could lead to more efficient methods for processing wood fibers for the paper and biofuels industries. Read more about this research here.
Woodland Invasive Species Program
May 11 – The Ohio State University Extension is holding a program in eastern Ohio for those interested in woodland invasive insects and plants. The meeting is free, but pre-registration is required. It is being held at the Puskarich Public Library in Cadiz, Ohio, at 6:00 PM on Thursday, May 11, 2017. See this flyer for details and registration information.
- National Firewood Workshop – April 27, 2017, Statesville, NC
- Ohio Chapter Walnut Council Meeting - April 29th – Tim Brouse farm near Bucyrus, Ohio
- NWOLC – 5/2/17 – 6:00 PM, Findlay, Ohio
- MRWIG Bald Eagle Presentation – 5/2/17 – 6:00 PM – Bladensburg Church of Christ – Bladensburg, Ohio
- Capturing Nature’s Wonders – 5/6/17 – 9:00 AM – Mansfield, Ohio
- NWOLC – 5/9/17 – 6:00 PM, New Carlisle, Ohio
- SOLC – 5/9/17 – 7:00 PM, Lucasville, Ohio
- A Day in the Woods – Spring Night Creatures – 5/12/17 – 6:30 PM – Vinton Furnace State Forest
- OFA Executive Committee Meeting – 5/17/17 – 10:00 AM – Hampton Inn & Suites, Columbus Scioto Downs, 5950 S. High Street, Columbus
- OFA Board Meeting – 5/17/17 – 12:30 PM – Hampton Inn & Suites, Columbus Scioto Downs, 5950 S. High Street, Columbus
- OFAF Board of Directors Meeting – 5/17/17 – 3:00 PM – Hampton Inn & Suites, Columbus Scioto Downs, 5950 S. High Street, Columbus
- Logging Standards Council Meeting – 5/17/17 – 5:00 PM – Hampton Inn & Suites, Columbus Scioto Downs, 5950 S. High Street, Columbus